Back in December and January I wrote about what I call Cyber Condoms — programs that protect the computer or your privacy from the nasties out there. Six months down the track and I am still using Flock Browser, as you will see from today’s entries, but I must confess I use Firefox more often, Opera at times, and IE7 as little as possible.
Of the programs I mentioned in December and January, experience gives a big tick to:
- McAfee Site Advisor — now in both Firefox and IE7.
- WOT on Firefox, though I sometimes ignore it.
- Avast! for virus protection.
- Spybot Search and Destroy — though scans now are painfully slow and heavy on processor usage. **
- Spyware Blaster is the only one I have running in real time, apart from Avast and Secunia of course, as it doesn’t drain resources too much.
- Belarc Advisor I use from time to time. Good information about what the state of play is on your computer.
- Secunia PSI is really, really good. It has many times picked up a program in need of updating or securing.
- Eusing Registry Cleaner is working well.
- Ccleaner, of course. Great little program.
- IoBit Advanced Windows Care is good.
- JK Defrag has proven to be another life saver. I strongly recommend it.
OK, a few things I have ditched:
- Finjan I decided was no longer necessary.
- KeyScrambler Personal just slowed things up for little real return, I decided.
- Super AntiSpyware I tried and it looked good. It does get good reviews. However, last time I tried updating it Avast! detected a virus in it, so I ditched… In its place I have put Windows Defender, but very soon learned to turn off its real time scanning!
- Spyware Terminator — ditched because I am using Windows Defender.
UPDATE 6 June 2008
** I have ditched Spybot Search and Destroy after something it proposed very nearly killed my computer. In its place I have restored the latest version of AdAware. I am giving the live protection of SpywareGuard a run. It is from the same people who created Spyware Blaster, a program that causes no problems, but it could also be a waste of space, to judge from some reviews. Meantime it also appears to do no harm, so I will let it run for a while…
But not long; it is a waste of space! So I restored Spyware Terminator, which is a good program.