Yes, it is one year since this blog appeared, the material back to 2005 being imported later. In that time (to when I write this) there have been 73,385 hits according to WordPress.
This post will have the usual “what’s new” section for the coming week, and then I will bore you silly with the November stats for all my blogs, as they come in!*
What’s new on my blogs: Sunday 30 November to Saturday 6 December
- Sunday: Completed the “best of 2008” series on Neil’s Modest Photo Blog.
- People have been so busy on my selected bits of the blogosphere I have decided to allow Neil’s Shared Items to blow out to 80 instead of 65.
- Added a brief Links Page — and a bonus photo — to the new Photo Blog. Because of the template it is not tabbed at the top, but is accessible from "About".
- Monday: Sights of old Sydney 3: Sydney in 1848 on Ninglun’s Specials
- New series "summer light" begins on the photo blog.
- New series “Best 10 nature shots 2008” begins on the photo blog.
- Tuesday: Sights of old Sydney 4: Cleveland House, Surry Hills — on Ninglun’s Specials
- New series on the photo blog: “local landmarks”
- Surry Hills: Looking for Jacob 11: Found! — on Ninglun’s Specials. The family historians have made a big breakthrough!
- Wednesday: on the photoblog — added to “summer light” series and posted the pic from the South Sydney Herald
- Thursday: My best original photo so far? — Ninglun’s Specials
- Added to the “summer light” series on the new photoblog. It’s the seventh day there, just beginning now, and there have been 825 views so far. At the moment there are 105 posts and 2 pages. Each post or page has one photo.
- Surry Hills: Looking for Jacob 12: Zeroing in — Ninglun’s Specials
- Friday: We are all awaiting WordPress 2.7! It goes live in two hours time.
- I have added New Matilda to Neil’s Shared Items. A couple of days ago I added Maralyn Parker’s education blog.
- The new photoblog has passed 900 views in its first week of existence. Happy about that.
- Added to local landmarks on the photoblog a landmark most Surry Hills people wouldn’t know was there!
- Saturday: WP stats — View #75,000 of this blog happened in the wee hours this morning.
- Looking back on “Looking for Jacob” – and Surry Hills 1900 — Ninglun’s Specials
- Added 8 pics to the photoblog
Stats, stats, and more stats
I begin slightly prematurely with this blog, looking at the top individually visited posts and pages so far.
* UPDATE: Now (Monday 1 December) I am adding those monthly stats. Feel free to look. 😉
Top 20 posts on Floating Life from 1 December 2007 to 30 November 2008
- Australian poem: 2008 series #9 — A B Paterson "The Angel’s Kiss" 3,389 reads
- Sarah Palin — Blogs, Pictures, and more on WordPress 3,180
- Australian poem 2008 series #10: Peter S 1,320
- The Great Surry Hills Book Clearance of 2005 1,173
- The Hollowmen – ABC TV 1,076
- Dispatches from another America 879
- Rampant: How a City Stopped a Plague 839
- How good is your English? Test and Answers 670
- Australian poem: 2008 series #8 – Indigenous Poetry 622
- Kevin Rudd as art critic 535
- Blog Roll 491
- Christmas poem #1 — Louis Macneice, "Snow" 426
- Australian poem 2008 series #17: "Australia" — A D Hope 424
- How disrespectful! How tragic! 407
- About 386
- Delia Malchert – Migraine Aura – Scintillating Scotoma 384
- Cat Stevens/Yusuf Islam documentary 369
- NSW Local Government Election 2008 / Sutherland Shire 358
- Cronulla 05 356
- Christmas poem #2: Alfred, Lord Tennyson 353
Keep in mind that the new photo blog is not counted by Sitemeter. More on that in a moment.
Floating Life sites
Floating Life, Ninglun’s Specials, Floating Life Apr 06 ~ Nov 07, Ninglun’s Journalspace, Ninglun on Geocities. The last two don’t add much, and I see the Geocities one needs an update! It’s just as well I have those extras contributing to the count, because otherwise – you never know – I might never have overcome Thomas’s US election advantage. (Congratulations, Thomas. Terrific month there.)
My Blogspot blog has its own counter and managed 160 visits and 174 page views in November.
How close is that!
Almost exclusively the WordPress blog, but with a few supporting items on Geocities.
If you add those, you can see in round figures 21,600 visits and 27,000 page views in November 08.
The new photoblog
This is counted by page views only, and by WordPress only. I suppose it is by nature a high scorer, or likely to be, simply because the design may encourage multiple page views. Keep in mind too, and below, that WP counts in GMT, not in local time, so here in Sydney at this moment there is still an hour left of November. But it has already had 377 views,** which is not bad for 3 days! For what it’s worth, the top 10 pics there so far have been:
- Christmas banners at Central Station 17 views
- Best of 2008: 50 8
- Best of 2008: 11 7
- Best of 2008: 13 6
- Best of 2008: 16 6
- Best of 2008: 14 6
- Best of 2008: 9 6
- East Redfern 2 5
- Best of 2008: 15 5
- Best of 2008: 10 5
** Final for November: 382 views
… recording 8,330 views in November with one hour to go.** Last month was 8,748. Best ever was Sept 08 with 11,781. Top ten:
- Australian poem: 2008 series #9 — 671 views in November
- Australian poem 2008 series #10: Peter S 412
- Sarah Palin — Blogs, Pictures, and 249
- Dispatches from another America 175
- The Great Surry Hills Book Clearance of 165
- How good is your English? Test and Answe 159
- Australian poem: 2008 series #8 – Indig 88
- Delia Malchert – Migraine Aura – Scintil 67
- Rampant: How a City Stopped a Plague 55
- SBS "First Australians" Episode 3 55
** Final: 8,349 views
… recording 1,768 views with 55 minutes left.** Last month was 2,444. Best ever since this became the Specials was July 2008 with 2,698. Bottom was June 2008 with 1,223. Top ten:
- Sequel: Art Monthly Australia July 2008 101
- Top poems 2: John Donne (1572-1631): Sat 94
- 10. But is it art? Responses to the Bill 86
- Surry Hills 90: Bourke Street and The Be 71
- 05 — Old Blog Entries: 99-04 60
- Family stories 3 — About the Whitfields 37
- Family stories 4 — A Guringai Family St 31
- Assignments 21 – opening that now…
- Sights of old Sydney 2: Moore Park bound 18
- Surry Hills 91: Oxford Street, back down 17
- Redfern Visions 37: around Waterloo – P 17
** Final: 1,770
Apr 06 ~ Nov 07
… recording 4,128 views with 50 minutes left.** Last month was 4,245. Best ever 8,998 last November. Top ten:
- Friday Australian poem #17: Bruce Dawe, 353
- John Howard: bullying expert extraordina 333
- Assimilation, Integration, Multicultural 218
- Two Australian poems of World War II 185
- Ian McKellen and Judi Dench in Macbeth a 161
- Good Friday in Redfern 2007 109
- Book and DVD backlog 106
- Friday Australian poem #11: "Becaus 101
- Late Anzac Day thoughts 93
- Friday Australian poem #3: A D Hope, 82
** Final: 4,134
… recording 10,540 with 45 minutes left.** Last month was the best ever at 14,388. November wasn’t too bad, given October was the main HSC rush. Top ten:
- Studying the Gothic, or Emily Bronte? 1,119
- How should I write up a Science experime 1,114
- Physical journeys and Peter Skrzynecki’s 854
- HSC English NSW Area Study Standard and 694
- Mary Shelley, "Frankenstein" — and "Bla 308
- What tense should I use when I write abo 148
- Scaffolding 140
- Studying comic strips? Really! 137
- How can I improve my essay grades, espec 134
- Legitimate concerns about writing rubric 107
** Final: 10,558
If any major changes occur in the next 40 minutes I will note them, but I don’t expect any… I will update the totals for each blog, but not for the “top reads” lists.